Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Spicy Herb Monkey Bread - #BreadBakers


I have been struggling creatively for the last few months. I kept telling myself that I am just stressed out by all the things that have been happening. Additionally, there's the lack of availability of ingredients that I'd like to use. But the reason finally hit me as I was falling asleep last night. Yes, there's a fair amount of stress but that usually gets me in the kitchen more. Baking is after all, therapy. My real issue is that I am not being inspired by the things around me, the ingredients available right here. I keep thinking in terms of American ingredients, closing my eyes to what is available.


Take for example, this spicy monkey bread that I made for this month's Bundt Bakers. I used cayenne pepper in the herb oil. It was really spicy and absolutely delicious. But you know what would have been great too? Scotch bonnet peppers! Scotch bonnet peppers are not only spicy but have a unique flavour. Why didn't I reach for them? Just not thinking clearly.




Now that I have identified part of my problem, I hope that this creative rut will end. I'm looking forward to creating with the things around me - and not dreaming about ingredients that I can't get a hold of easily.

Thanks Sue for hosting this month's Bread Bakers! Remember to scroll down to see the list of other recipes this month.


Spicy Herb Monkey Bread

Ingredients

Dough (slightly adapted from King Arthur)
8oz water
12.75 oz flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons yeast
1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons dry milk (I used full fat)
1 1/2 tablespoons oil (I used coconut oil)

Herb Oil
2 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 1/2 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon dried herbs (I used thyme, oregano, chives and basil)
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions
Combine all the dough ingredients and knead for 5 to 8 minutes. Dough will be soft but very tacky. Dough can be left to rise in the refrigerator overnight or at room temperature until doubled.

While dough is rising, combine all the ingredients for the herb oil.

When the dough has doubled, divide the dough into approximately 32 pieces. Each piece should weigh about .75 oz.

Dip each dough ball into the herb oil and then place into a Bundt pan. I used a 9 cup capacity Bundt pan.

Pour any remaining herb oil on top of the dough balls. Cover the Bundt pan and let rise at room temperature until doubled.

When the dough has almost doubled, preheat oven to 375 F.

Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden. Turn out on a cooling rack. Serve warm.

Breads with Peppers

BreadBakers
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.

We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.

If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com.

post signature

10 comments:

  1. You definitely must bake a scotch bonnet monkey bread! Meanwhile, this one is quite nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love putting hot peppers in bread because the starch tames the heat just enough that the unique flavor of the pepper comes through. This looks great and, yes, scotch bonnet would be good too I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the your savory version of monkey bread. I'd be the first one to tear into it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bread baking is definitely my therapy too. Love how you worked that all out in your mind =) P.S. Love savory monkey bread!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow ! this bread looks like a conversation starter for a party ! loved the bread, bookmarked too :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. The monkey bread looks great. That's on my 'to do list'. Non availability of ingredients can be frustrating. After my trip to Dubai, UK or Canada I find that the supermarkets and greengrocers lack so many things. However after a few days get back to reality and carry on. I enjoy using what is not available in Mombasa during my trips outside Kenya.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Monkey Breads and this one is beautiful. Lovely pick for the theme!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a great bread to serve with soup!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! Your monkey bread is beautiful and flavourful. And yes, baking is definitely healing and therapeutic. It helps in driving the stress away

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is an amazing monkey bread. Love the addition of the spicy herb oil.

    ReplyDelete